UPDATE: May 18, 2018, 11:54 a.m. EST — Multiple people have been confirmed dead according to law enforcement. A second person has also been detained in connection with the shooting.
UPDATE: May 18, 2018, 3:50 p.m. EST— 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis has been identified as the shooter responsible for killing at least 10 people at Sante Fe High School. According to Buzzfeed, Pagourtzis stated in computer journal entries that he “wanted to commit the shooting” and had plans to kill himself after. Photos from his social media accounts include images of weapons, Nazi symbols, and a t-shirt that reads “Born To Kill.” ABC has confirmed that he is a student at the high school.
A Texas school district is currently on lockdown after reports of an active shooter at Sante Fe High School around 10 a.m. Friday. The suspect has since been “arrested and secured,” assistant principal Cris Richardson told CNN. It is the second known school shooting to occur in the last week and the 22nd to occur in 2018.
According to CNN, the gunman entered an art class and began firing what appeared to be a shotgun. Patients are said to have been transported to a nearby hospital. While a number has not yet been reported, an eyewitness stated that she saw at least one girl shot in the leg.
Students had been evacuated from the building shortly before hearing gunshots.
“We were all standing (outside), but not even five minutes later, we started hearing gunshots,” 14-year-old student Angelica Martinez said. “And then everybody starts running, but like the teachers are telling us to stay put, but we’re all just running away. I didn’t see anybody shooting, but like (the gunshots) were kind of spaced.”
Details are still developing.
Last Friday (May 11), a 14-year-old boy was taken into custody on suspicion of shooting a teen in the arm at Southern California’s Highland High School. The incident occurred around 7 a.m. PT as students arrived at school. The school was placed on lockdown for two hours before students were released to parents and guardians.
The boy has since been charged with attempted murder and has a court date for a pretrial hearing on June 28. The 15-year-old who was wounded is expected to fully recover.