Cassius Life Featured Video
Empty Place Ready For Pool Party

Source: Tashi-Delek / Getty

Dajerria Becton—the Black teenage girl who was violently arrested at a McKinney, Texas pool party in 2015—is finally getting at least part of what she’s owed. According to the Star-Telegram, Becton, who was 15 at the time of the incident, has received $148,850. The money comes after reaching a settlement last month with the city of McKinney and Eric Casebolt, the white officer who assaulted her.

Of course, all claims against now-former Officer Casebolt and the city of McKinney will be dismissed. A total of $184,850 went to the plaintiffs and their attorneys.

“While the events precipitating this case are regrettable, the City of McKinney and the McKinney Police Department would like to express their thanks to the community for its commitment to inclusiveness, order, and unity,” a joint news statement said.

“This girl will never be the same,” Kim T. Cole, Becton’s lawyer, recently told Teen Vogue. “Anyone who has been a teenage Black girl knows how hard it is, and to have this type of negative publicity, in your bikini, shown all over the world. It tore her up. We don’t know who she would have been had this not happened.”

Though video footage shows otherwise, Becton was described by McKinney mayor George Fuller as “a verbally abusive, disobedient girl” in an email to Dominique Alexander, a local activist who organized several protests after Becton’s arrest. Cole adds that she plans to throw another pool party for Becton to celebrate the settlement.

Becton’s family filed a $5 million federal lawsuit against Casebolt after a video of the 2015 incident, which took place at the Craig Ranch North subdivision in southwest McKinney, went viral. Casebolt, who was filmed chasing Black teens and pulling his gun before forcing Becton onto her stomach and digging his knees into her back, was rightfully accused of excessive force.

About 100 teens were celebrating the end of the school year at the pool party. The McKinney police chief called Casebolt’s actions “indefensible,” and Casebolt ultimately resigned.