I was recently at a brunch, minding my own business, and enjoying the hell out of some French toast that had the perfect amount of crunch to it. Seriously, it was amazing. The DJ was on one, playing some of the smoothest R&B music he could find. He hopped on the mic real quick and announced that he was about to take it back to the old school. I was ready. Maybe he would give us a little “Poison” by Bell Biv DeVoe, or the most annoying song in the world, Mark Morrison’s “Return of the Mac.” (It is the most annoying song ever. Fight me.) I quickly grabbed my mimosa, ready to bust an old school move, when I was jolted back in my seat in disbelief. This fool played “Doo Wop” by Lauryn Hill. Excuse me, Mr. DJ? I mean, I know the record came out a few years ago, but old school? Wasn’t that a stretch? I Googled the song, just to prove him wrong.
And the year read 1998.
That made me wonder what other songs now qualify as old school. For your listening pleasure, here are 20 songs that turn 20 this year.
1. “The Boy Is Mine,” “The First Night”Source:Getty
2. “Ghetto Supastar”Source:Getty
Pras Featuring Mya & Ol’ Dirty Bastard.
3. “Come With Me”Source:Getty
4. “Hit Me Baby One More Time”Source:Getty
5. “I’m Your Angel”Source:Getty
6. “Deja Vu”Source:Getty
7. “I’m Not A Player,” “Still Not A Player”Source:Getty
Big Pun and Fat Joe.
8. “Are You That Somebody?”Source:Getty
9. “A Rose Is Still A Rose”Source:Getty
11. “Doo Wop (That Thing)”Source:Getty
Ms. Lauryn Hill.
12. “When You Believe”Source:Getty
Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston.
13. “The Arms Of The One Who Loves You”Source:Getty
14. “Nobody’s Supposed To Be Here”Source:Getty
15. “Hard Knock Life”Source:Getty
16. “Fly Away”Source:Getty
17. “No, No, No Part 2”Source:Getty