With two more grandkids on the way, Gloria Carter has a lot to celebrate. But instead of simply sitting back and waiting for the arrival of son Jay Z‘s new little ones, she’s continuing her long tradition of doing good in the ‘hood.
The OG Ms. Carter has officially kicked off a new high school graduation campaign with the Shawn Carter Foundation, which she co-founded with her son in 2003.
The organization’s mission is to help individuals who are “facing socio-economic hardships further their education at post secondary institutions.” The SCF will use all funds raised to help freshmen pay for basic needs such as college meal plans, public transportation, and required academic materials.
“I have always taught my kids the importance of working hard for what you want. I’ve made it my mission to empower youth by giving them access to higher education,” said Carter in a press release announcing the campaign. “With graduation season upon us, I’m thrilled to partner with eBay for Charity for a special auction to raise funds for students in need.”
Celebs like Chance the Rapper, Demi Lovato and The Weeknd have donated “unforgettable experiences” and memorabilia to be auctioned by eBay for Charity. In case you were wondering just how much of that money would go to the cause, worry not. According to Carter, “100% of proceeds will go to the Shawn Carter Foundation, so know you’ll be helping to give young people facing hardships the tools they need to pursue their education and dreams,” she added.
Take a peek at some of the cool stuff that’s up for grabs:
- 40/40 Club: A VIP Lounge Party at the NYC location for 50 guests.
- Made in America Festival: Pair of VIP 2-day passes with hotel accommodations included.
- New York Yankees: A trip to batting practice, game tickets, complete with a meet and greet with pitcher CC Sabathia then relax in style with food and beverages while enjoying the view from exclusive “Legends” seats.
- TIDAL X Benefit Concert: VIP tickets to the 3rd Annual Benefit Concert, backstage access to performers, food and beverage, merchandise and a hotel stay
- Live Nation: VIP Concert Packages for two to see The Weeknd, Bruno Mars, Chance the Rapper or Future.
- Demi Lovato: A signed concert-worn outfit.
- Armand de Brignac: A private Prestige Champagne education session and pairing dinner for four.
For a modest $10 donation, fans can also be entered into a sweepstakes to win a VIP day at the NYC Roc Nation headquarters. During their day at the office, winners “will meet the team behind some of the biggest names in sports and entertainment, get a photo shoot on Roc Nation’s famous gold couch, and enjoy a complimentary dinner at the 40/40 club.”
The campaign closes on May 24 at 4 p.m. PST, so you’ve got a little over a week to get in there. Check out more info below.
Young Icons: Michael Rainey Jr. Is Our Favorite Hustler
Five Young, Gifted & Black Shining Television Stars You Should Know
5 Young Black Actors & Actresses To Watch For In 2023
5 Black Directors Poised To Take Over Hollywood
Stephen A. Smith Says Michael Jordan Told Him To "Shut The Hell Up" After Revealing He Doesn't Like Jordan 1's
Raising The Bar: Ten Hip-Hop Stars Who Proudly Attended HBCU's
HBCU Alumni Creating New Culture In Hollywood
The Legacy Is Alive: HBCU Pride Runs Strong In These Social Media Influencers