Can you believe Jasmine Guy is almost 60 years old?
The television icon is celebrating her 59th birthday today and we couldn’t let it go by without giving her a virtual standing ovation. Most know Guy from her role as Whitley on The Cosby Show and Cosby Show spinoff, A Different World. Guy played a rich and snobbish undergraduate student following in the footsteps of her parents, who both attended Hillman College. There, she meets the gang: Denise Huxtable, of course, her love interest Dwayne Wayne, Jaleesa Vinson, Kim Reese, Freddie Brooks, and Ron Johnson. Though Whitley wasn’t the most relatable member of the cast, she was hilarious and certainly held a special place in viewers’ hearts — and still does.
Beyond A Different World, Jasmine Guy’s on-screen resume is extensive and spans many genres. From School Daze and Harlem Nights to Scary Movie 5, My Nephew Emmitt, and Dead Like Me, and The Vampire Diaries she continues to prove she has the range. That’s in addition to writing, directing, and snatching wigs on Broadway.
Perhaps what we admire most about the queen, however, is her fondness for showing love to Black women in entertainment. Seriously, one look at her social media and you’ll immediately see just how supportive she is of her peers and the up-and-coming talent in the industry.
Today, and every day, we want to celebrate all that Guy is and has been to us. Join us in wishing her the happiest of birthdays. More photos of the beauty over the years below.
1. Jasmine Guy and Kadeem Hardison posing as Whitley and Dwayne for ‘A Different World.’Source:Getty
2. Circa 1989.Source:Getty
3. Kissed by Eddie Murphy In ‘Harlem Nights.’Source:Getty
4. All red everything back in the ’90s.Source:Getty
5. Acting alongside another legend, Will Smith, in ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.’Source:Getty
6. Greeting the late James Avery on ‘The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson.’Source:Getty
7. Jasmine and Jada!Source:Getty
8. Attending the 1994 NAACP Image Awards.Source:Getty
9. Back in ’97.Source:Getty
10. Striking an iconic pose in all purple everything.Source:Getty
11. All Black everything.Source:Getty
12. A close-up of Jasmine’s beauty.Source:Getty
13. Sporting curls and a red lip for a studio portrait.Source:Getty
14. Beautiful at the ‘Boyle Heights Music and Arts Program’ launch.Source:Getty
15. Gorgeous at the unveiling of the Renovated Biltmore Theater in New York City.Source:Getty
16. Spotted at the ‘Coach Carter’ premiere in Hollywood.Source:Getty
17. Look at that million dollar smile.Source:Getty
18. Posing for a pic with Usher at Morehouse College.Source:Getty
19. Jasmine in 2020. We love you, beautiful!Source:Getty
Young Icons: Michael Rainey Jr. Is Our Favorite Hustler
Five Young, Gifted & Black Shining Television Stars You Should Know
5 Young Black Actors & Actresses To Watch For In 2023
5 Black Directors Poised To Take Over Hollywood
Stephen A. Smith Says Michael Jordan Told Him To "Shut The Hell Up" After Revealing He Doesn't Like Jordan 1's
Raising The Bar: Ten Hip-Hop Stars Who Proudly Attended HBCU's
HBCU Alumni Creating New Culture In Hollywood
The Legacy Is Alive: HBCU Pride Runs Strong In These Social Media Influencers