After a long winter, cabin fever is real. People are ready to come out to play, and it won’t all be local. In a study from Bank of America’s Merrill Edge, 81 percent of millennials were more likely to spend money on traveling than any other big-ticket purchase. Of course, having life-changing experiences and dope-ass Instagram pics are what’s up, but there is another big perk to seeing the world: racking up traveler’s points on your credit cards.
While you should pay cash money for your trips and expenses, you’ll likely use a credit card in lieu of carrying two stacks with you. With perks such as cash back and discounted tickets, credit cards can become your most trusted travel companion when used responsibly. When making a major financial decision like getting a credit card, be sure to choose one that’s conducive to our lifestyle and wallet. Here are some of the best-rated cards for almost every type of traveler.
This card is perfect for frequent fliers. MileCards.com rates it as its favorite card because of the ability to 1:1 transfer points to airline partners such as Delta Airlines, American Airlines, and Southwest. The card also offers amazing benefits for those who like to be on the safe side such as:
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance
- Auto rental collision damage waiver
- Baggage delay insurance
- Trip delay reimbursement
- Travel and emergency assistance services
This is the perfect piece of plastic for international jet-setters.
- Expedited Global Entry, which gets you through customs seamlessly when returning from an international trip
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases abroad
- Access to over 800 MasterCard Airport lounges worldwide
- International Chip and PIN for global acceptance
- Ability to transfer your miles to participating travel loyalty programs
For those who are more about the road trips or renting cars at your destinations, this is the card to have.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance when renting eligible vehicles
- Roadside assistance in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands
- Travel accident insurance, should you or your loved ones suffer injury or death while traveling on a common carrier (plane, train, ship, or bus)
This is an ideal card for beginner travelers or travelers on a budget because it has no annual fee.
- Earn 20,000 bonus points if you make $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of opening your account
- Points are redeemable for statement credit to pay for flights, hotels, vacation packages, rental cars, and baggage fees
- No foreign transaction fees, blackout dates, or restrictions when booking
And for those who wish to travel in the lap of luxury, this card offers the benefits of AMEX’s Blue Cash Preferred Card times five!
- Earn 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines
- Receive $100 airline fee credit per calendar year when fees for baggage and other incidentals charged by the airline
- Earn 2X membership rewards points per eligible dollar spent, in addition to $75 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities when your prepaid stay is booked on the card
- Personalized travel service from AMEX “travel insiders” who curate itineraries based on your interest
- Global assistance hotline that provides 24/7 access to medical, legal, financial referrals, or other emergencies such as cash wiring, passport replacement, or missing luggage
- Baggage insurance for eligible, lost, damaged, or stolen baggage