Game of Thrones junkies are beside themselves with joy now that the eighth and final season of the award-winning series is here. With 17.4 million viewers tuning into the premiere episode alone, HBO has already made history — but that isn’t the only unbelievable Game of Thrones stat you need to know. HBO broke all eight seasons down by the numbers and a lot of the data is truly astonishing…
1. For example, production used 52,000 bags of paper snow.Source:HBO
2. Production also used 4,000 gallons of artificial blood.Source:HBO
3. Over the course of 8 seasons, Game of Thrones has filmed in ten countries.Source:HBO
Includling: Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Morocco, Malta, Spain, Croatia, Iceland, United States, Canada and Scotland. There have been 50 locations in Ireland, including 49 in Northern Ireland and one in the Republic of Ireland.
4. 50 miles of fabric was used in the making of costumes.Source:HBO
5. Primary unit photographer Helen Sloan has taken 1.4 million stills over all seasons.Source:HBO
6. Deanerys’ wig color and style are the result of more than two months of testing and seven prototypes.Source:HBO
7. Overall, Game of Thrones used 12,137 wigs and hairpieces.Source:HBO
8. Since season four, the SFX teams utilized 24,421 pounds of silicone (for prosthetics) and 1,102 pounds of Coffee Mate© (for pyrotechnics).Source:HBO
9. The longest prosthetics applications were for the Children of the Forest and the Mountain, which took seven hours.Source:HBO
10. The series has used 12,986 extras in Northern Ireland alone and 2,000 Northern Ireland crew members across the series’ eight seasons.Source:HBO
11. Overall, the show totaled 105,846 days for extras across all seasons and countries.Source:HBO
12. 22,966 feet of waxed cotton fabric was used to make more than 330 tents.Source:HBO
13. During all eight seasons, and specific to production in Northern Ireland, 3,748 pounds of rubber and 1.5 tons of metal were used for armory, with 1,300 shields created.Source:HBO
14. Game of Thrones is broadcasted in 207 countries and territories and simulcasted in 194 countries and territories.Source:HBO
15. With well over 100 licensees globally, Game of Thrones is the most-licensed program in HBO history.Source:HBO
16. The series has utilized a total of 40 VFX houses in 13 countries.Source:HBO
Including: the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Northern Ireland, Spain, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, China, France, Sweden and India. There were 13,250 VFX shots in the first seven seasons of the series.
17. Over the first seven seasons…Source:HBO
Game of Thrones received: a total of 132 Emmy® nominations and 47 wins; seven Golden Globe nominations and one win; 18 SAG Award nominations and seven wins; 17 Critics’ Choice Award nominations and one win; and seven AFI award wins.